Monday, May 1, 2017



During my last semester of college, I finally got around to actually writing my resume and thinking about a job. I signed up for every potential interview for companies coming on campus and only was able to secure one interview. Apparently, a regional trucking company was actually interested student with a degree in “management science” and a 2.9 GPA. In fact, they wound up interviewing 4 of my good friends as well as me, but I did not get the job. A few months later I was really glad because the guy they chose was stripped naked and shipped to NYC in the back of a trailer as part of his “orientation".

I returned home with absolutely zero prospects and no idea what to do, but I was told almost hourly by my parents to “get a job”. The best I could find was mowing lawns in my neighborhood. During a break, I was sharing my story of hardship with my next door “client” and he told me that his company actually had a “management training program” and he would get me an interview. Little did I realize the a management training program for UPS was actually being a driver, with the brown shorts and all. Apparently, everyone in management at UPS had to learn how to deliver packages. Due to the fact that it was my only “offer”, I took the role and within a few weeks I was running around delivering and picking up packages all over Northern New Jersey. It was hot, really confusing and really hard work. It took almost 2 years before they would promote me to an actual supervisory positions. It really wasn’t the worst job in the world, everyone loves the UPS Guy, but when I finally landed my supervisory role, it was on the midnight shift.






No comments:

Post a Comment